Australian Defence Forces
Once a construction or refurbishment project is completed, or you move into newly leased premises, there is often a need to carry out a range of maintenance and management functions. The Australian Defence Force had a number of sites in Kabul that needed these services. We were able to provide a customised facilities management package to ensure regulatory compliance and the effective management and maintenance of their buildings.
Despite these buildings being spread across a wide area of the city we have been able to operate a team that have set very high standards considering the challenges of operating somewhere like Kabul.
At Kepi we understand that the correct and proper operation of facilities creates an optimal, safe and cost-effective solution and this is what the Australian Defence Force were looking for. Kepi have achieved this for our client by providing or managing the following:
• Fixtures & Fittings Maintenance - periodic preventative and reactive maintenance of all elements of the buildings, including the fittings and fixtures.
• Recording – a programme and recording system of all work done is available An Asset register is always kept on site and updated when required.
• Non-hazardous Waste Disposal Services – arrange and check the collection of non-hazardous general waste twice weekly from bins and other collection points.
• Routine General Cleaning - this includes damp wiping of all surfaces and edges, equipment, tables and chairs. Vacuum of floors and soft furnishings, damp mopping of floors. Our service covers all internal areas offices, common areas, kitchen, tea rooms etc. Chemical cleaning of the toilets, basins, showers and kitchen/food preparation areas.
• Snow Clearance – when appropriate during the winter months the provision of snow clearing and ice cleaning of walkways, building entrances and stairways.
• External Areas - periodic weed control and tidying within the entire grounds at all locations is part of the package. This ensures properties look as good as they can and helps with things like security.
• Emergency Power – on failure of the regular power supply Kepi arrange to provide a contingency power supply within 30 minutes. This is in the event that both the existing generators, that we also managed, were not functional
Generator Maintenance - cleaning and servicing the existing generators which includes daily cleaning and servicing at scheduled intervals. The planned maintenance involves checking and if necessary replacing the Oil filter, Fuel filter, Water separation filter, Air filter, Water filter. The routine maintenance includes the change of oil and lubricants.
All facilities need some work to keep them in tip top shape and Camp Juno in Helmand Province, Afghanistan is no exception. Housekeeping is necessary to ensure everything is fully operational and this includes maintaining existing infrastructure such as fencing, existing and new groundworks. In support of British military operations and UK Works Group Royal Engineers Kepi were engaged to carry out repair and refurbishment around the camp in a number of areas.
There are many examples of Kepi delivering part of a project as a sub-contractor, either working on their own bespoke area or working in collaboration on a part of the construction and build. In this particular case Kepi were working with CADG as a sub-contractor tasked with supplying the building that housed a number of fuel storage tanks and their ancillary equipment. The location was Camp Shorabak in Helmand, Afghanistan and the project was part of the US Reconstruction Project in the Province.
As well as major construction and infrastructure projects Kepi also deliver lower key works. These are just as important as they provide necessary servicers such as this one. The Australian Department of Defence were looking to improver the levels of security around their precincts at Camp Qargha, Kabul in Afghanistan and they wanted a comprehensive plan and installation for their internal fencing. This needed to include “ceremonial” as well as vehicle and pedestrian gates.
Kepi deliver major infrastructure projects in the conflict zone of Afghanistan, mainly for the various international defence forces. These clients require their contractors to carry out their work quickly but to a very high standard so that future maintenance is kept to a minimum. Kepi were happy to take on a road maintenance and upgrade project, with drainage work included, for the Australian Department of Defence in Camp Qargha, Kabul.
This project covered a wide range of works including the modification of existing buildings, the construction of new on site facilities, the refurbishment and improvement of site services and infrastructure. The work was located in a war/conflict zone and in a very difficult geographical and cultural environment. This job was completed in Summer 2020